Monday, July 18, 2005

Back in the USB, but Unplugged


Back to this. Well, it is a living. At least I have a door.


One of the first things I do when I return to the United States of Bush is call the cable company. Turn off the TV please. Thanks! Is there anything I really need to see on that box that I do not choose myself? No. I can spend the money I will save each month on books.

I think three books per month is a good amount. One to make me laugh, David Sedaris; one to make me think, A Brief History of the Human Race, Michael Cook; one to make me unmade and made again perhaps, The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, Sogyal Rinpoche.

I visit my Ma today and collect some books that my late Father had and my Ma needs to rid herself of; some of them were actually my textbooks from the college days. He kept them all, and so did my Ma. But now they have to go. I bring boxes from work and construct them; there are many boxes already full of books, I only select from the jetsam. I remember being quite young and picking up The Anger of Achilles, written by Robert Graves, a big musty black hardcover. It was the first book I ever read from. I read the first three pages. I was very young, I think five or six, I do not remember my age, but I remember that I understood it and I liked it. I liked the smell of the big black musty book. I found that book again today, amid at least 100 books in slapdash piles in my Ma's living room. Today.

It is not a good day but it is good enough. Each one is actually. And I will not miss the television even one little bit.